Since I have been pregnant, my breakfast usually consists of a fruit smoothie. It’s healthy and gives me an extra boost of fruit for the day. Oranges, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, and sometimes peaches or pears…it’s absolutely delicious but I sometimes get tired of eating the same thing for breakfast every day.
However, when I’m just making breakfast for myself, I want it to be quick and no-fuss. I’m usually fairly hungry in the mornings, so I need something pronto. I also don’t like dirtying the kitchen when I’m just cooking for myself, knowing that in a couple of hours, I’m going to have to be back in the kitchen making a mess again!
This breakfast quesadilla is a quick and delicious breakfast that requires no dishes except one skillet and the plate that you eat it on (although I guess you could nix the plate and use a napkin to save even more dishes!!). It’s made of ingredients I always keep on hand, so it’s ready whenever I don’t feel like having my smoothies in the morning.
- 1 egg
- 1 flour tortilla, soft taco sized
- 1 heaping Tablespoon salsa
- dash chili powder (I used ancho chili powder)
- 2-3 Tablespoons Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, torn
- In a skillet, fry egg until set. Make sure the yolk isn’t too runny, otherwise it will make a mess in the quesadilla!
- Meanwhile, spread salsa over one half of the tortilla, sprinkle chile powder over the salsa, and top with cheese. After egg is finished cooking, place on top of the cheese. Lastly, add the spinach on top of the egg and fold tortilla in half.
- Cook tortilla over medium, flipping halfway through, until both sides are lightly browned and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.