Summer weather is finally here! It has been hot lately, and I’m just waiting to get a large outdoor umbrella so I can sit outside in our new kiddie pool with my daughter. Ah, the perks of having a kiddo!
With all this warm weather, it’s nice to have a dinner option that doesn’t require you to fire up the oven.
I’d never tried pineapple in chicken salad before, but I figured it would probably be a winner since I enjoy grapes in my regular chicken salad. The pineapple doesn’t disappoint and adds a wonderful little pop of flavor.
Make sure you use fresh pineapple in this; it will make a difference in the flavor for sure. Also, you could grate the carrots if you don’t have anything to help with cutting them matchstick style. I used my handy dandy mandoline to cut mine and was thrilled with how they turned out! (This one is mine: Oneida Mandoline Food Slicer) [This is an affiliate link.]
Go and make this pineapple chicken salad tonight, and enjoy it outside if the skeeters haven’t found you yet!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup matchstick cut carrots (I used my <a href =”http://amzn.to/1yqZvmk”>mandoline</a>)
- 2 green onions, chopped (use white and green parts)
- 1/4 cup celery ribs,diced
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple , diced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10-12 slices bread (you can use my <a href=”http://www.therookiecook.com/2012/01/honey-whole-wheat-bread.html”>homemade whole wheat recipe</a>)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with greens or make a sandwich by spreading chicken salad on bread and topping with lettuce/spinach and tomato, if desired.