In case you haven’t noticed yet, I’m kind of on an apple kick. Pretty much everything I make has apple in it. I kid you not. (In fact, I made some soup on Sunday that had apples and sweet potatoes in it. In case you’re wondering, baby girl and I enjoyed it but the hubby did not. He doesn’t like sweet potatoes very much and especially didn’t appreciate the fact that I pureed them.)
Apples = fall. At least in my mind. Hooray for the cooler-turning weather once again. We were having beautiful fall weather, cool mornings and evenings and bright, sunny days. Then fall decided to retreat back a week or so and summer returned full force in the 80s again. It was hot. I’m so glad that fall has decided to reappear once again, and hopefully this time it is here to stay.
Besides apples equaling fall, anything with apples = delicious and just a hint of sweetness.
That’s what I like about these apple pork chops…delicious and just a hint of sweetness! They take a little while to cook in the oven, but hands-on cooking time is less than 5 minutes. Really, you can’t get any easier than this. Plus, with the weather cooling down, it’s nice to have the oven on a little longer now.
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bone-in pork chops
- 1 large apple (or 2 small), thickly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 2/3 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, salt, pepper, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Rub spice mix on pork chops. Place pork chops in a greased baking pan. Top with apple slices, onion, apple cider and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350° for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, or until cooked through. (Baste with its own juices occasionally, if needed)