I guess I’m a bad patient. I received a certified letter in the mail today from my doctor’s office, stating that they were not going to treat me in my pregnancy any longer and that I needed to find another doctor’s office. Needless to say, I wasn’t too pleased and got on the phone with them right away. It turns out that they weren’t so fond of me waiting to come in for the first time until I needed the anatomy ultrasound. I didn’t schedule a follow-up until 6 weeks later when I have to take a glucose test.
I promise we’ll get to the food.
My take on this vegetarian burrito bowl? Easy, cheap, and delicious! Seriously, it doesn’t get much cheaper than this kind of meal – rice & beans – but this burrito bowl is a super fun way to eat normally boring rice and beans. The spices and salsa give it a wonderful flavor, and I thought it was a perfect lunchtime meal.
It should keep pretty well too, so it’d be great for making a batch on the weekend and saving for lunch all week.
After reading the book, Salt, Sugar, Fat, I’ve decided we need to cut back a little on our cheese intake. (Cheese is cited as one of Americans main sources of saturated fat, along with milk.) So, I just sprinkled a little cheese over top, but feel free to add a heap of cheesy goodness if that’s your desire.
- 1 cup dry brown rice, cooked(I used [url href=”www.melskitchencafe.com/baked-brown-rice/” target=”_blank”]these directions[/url] for non-sticky rice)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced (I used red)
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 24 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (I like ancho chile pepper ~ it’s mild)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- queso fresco, for topping
- Cook brown rice according to package directions or [url href=”www.melskitchencafe.com/baked-brown-rice/” target=”_blank”]these[/url].
- Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Saute onions and pepper in hot oil until tender. Add in garlic, tomatoes, and spices and cook for a few more minutes. Add black beans and salsa.
- Once rice is cooked, drain, and add to bean mixture. Stir to incorporate and heat through. Serve with queso fresco sprinkled on top.