I haven’t been doing very well with my twice per week blogging again…I just haven’t felt like posting new recipes, mostly because I haven’t really felt much like cooking. It could be the last trimester of pregnancy + the heat is finally catching up with me. I think that’s what I’ll blame it on anyway. It could also be that we’ve been busy and gone nearly every weekend, headed to the hubby’s family’s house, and then we sometimes have visitors during the week, or I’ve gone home to my family quite a bit too. Things are going to have to slow down at least after the baby comes. (Not that I’ll feel like cooking then either though!!)
Anyway, we’ve also been pretty emotionally drained with the hubby stressed, since he was coming up on the end of a semester in his PhD program, while anticipating a summer class and teaching an undergraduate class in the fall. (Congrats to my amazing hubby, btw!) Also, we’ve gone to the hubby’s family’s house very often this spring because his grandmother is not doing well and is currently in hospice care. It’s been an emotional, sad, and stressful time for all involved.
Easy meals have been the name of the game around here lately. Or leftovers. Or frozen chili that I have had in the freezer for probably way too long.
This Skillet Ham & Cheese Gnocchi fits the bill for a quick and effortless meal. I bought the gnocchi, hence the easy meal, but feel free to fancy things up a bit by using homemade gnocchi. I threw in some extra veggies to make myself feel better for using packaged gnocchi. Homemade gnocchi is on my list of things to try after the baby. Like long after the baby.
I loved this meal, besides it’s simplicity, because it was so tasty and saucy. I don’t like my casseroles dry and this one had plenty of juices, to make it just perfect. I like to think of it a little bit like a grown-up version of mac and cheese. Of course, my little girl loved it as well and even happily ate the broccoli (cut up into miniscule pieces, mind you).
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
- 8-10 ounces ham, cubed into bite size pieces
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) of potato gnocchi
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, rinsed (to get rid of excess water/ice)
- 1/4 cup half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Asiago (or Parmesan) cheese, shredded
- In a large, ovenproof skillet (I used my cast iron skillet), melt butter. Add onion and broccoli and saute until onion is translucent and soft. Add in cubed ham and continue cooking until ham is lightly browned and broccoli is almost done.
- Pour in chicken broth, bring to a simmer, and add gnocchi. Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes (depending on package directions for cooking the gnocchi), or until gnocchi is tender.
- Add in peas, half and half, and salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle cheese over top and broil for 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.